Top Class Moving: The Key to a Smooth, Successful Move is Organization
Based on our years of experience, we have compiled a series of helpful hints and useful suggestions to assist you in organizing and planning your next move. Remember, getting organized is the name of the game when your moving date is just weeks away.
4 Weeks Before Moving Date
- Contact Top Class Moving and Storage for your free, no obligation moving estimate.
- Notify the post office of your new address and send change-of-address cards to friends, relatives, and periodicals. You can do so online at www.usps.com.
- Arrange for any repairs or installations in your new home.
- Obtain forms for transferring drivers licenses and applying for credit.
- Notify schools of children’s transfer. Check into pre-registration procedures for the new schools.
3 Weeks Before
- Send drapes, carpets, furniture for repairs or cleaning.
- Arrange to have utilities, appliances and telephone disconnected and arrange for utility and telephone hook-up in your new home.
- Obtain dental and medical records to take with you.
- If you are planning on packing yourself, now is a good time to start!
- Make any travel arrangements, including interim hotel reservations and car rental.
- Decide what to move and what to give away. Have a garage sale!
2 Weeks Before
- Return library books and anything borrowed from friends or neighbors.
- Relax! Take the family for a farewell drive to some of the places you’ve loved. Have a “going away” party for the kids and their friends.
- Take care of bills, stocks and investments.
- Take pets to veterinarian for immunization and preparation for trip.
- Pay and pick up any store layaways or items that are being cleaned, stored or repaired.
- Arrange for the transfer of any bank or other accounts.
- Drain oil and gasoline from power equipment.
- Have car prepared for the trip. Check tires, brakes, windshield wipers, etc.
1 Week Before Moving Date
- Transfer prescriptions.
- Arrange for delivery services to be discontinued – newspapers, etc.
- Start gathering those items to take with you on your trip.
Just Days Before
- Pack luggage.
- Defrost and dry refrigerator and freezer to be moved.
- Obtain cash or travelers checks for trip expenses.
- Pack immediate needs such as medications, important papers, coffee pot, a few dishes, pots and pans, towels, soap, and bedding.
- Complete any packing you are doing yourself!
Tags: Moving Tips, Moving Date, Self Moving Tips, Helpful Moving Tips.